Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Common Interests and New Friendships

On February 20,2017,  I set off for Utah for my one year surgical follow-up, but instead of taking I-80 into Salt Lake City like I usually do, I decided to get to Salt Lake through Delta and Provo for a change of scenery and to finally put a face to the name of Josh Bernhard.  That said, upon my arrival in Delta, I spotted a waiting northbound with a Norfolk Southern unit in the consist so I flipped around real quick to get some photos.
 
I also checked around for the ruins and remains of the old terminal in Delta, such as the water tank foundation and what I believe to be the foundation of the original station in town.  There was also a small building built inside four small concrete footings that still has some hardware and the remains of the supports to some structure that is long gone.  I have no idea what the footings could have supported, but I am still searching.



I left Delta on US highway 6 to Lynndyl and wound up meeting Josh chasing a southbound at Brush Wellman Road, which leads to the Intermountain Power Project.  What was interesting was that this train also had an NS unit in the consist.
Josh Bernhard photo

Once the train passed, we moved a mile or so up the road to a little private crossing and filmed the train that was waiting in Delta as it was now on the move north (that's me in the yellow M&M jacket).
Josh Bernhard photo
After it passed, we made our way into Lynndyl and immediately spotted a string of gondolas with a caboose tacked on.  Continuing into town, we found out way to the one and only grade crossing and spotted a pair of classic SD70M's that were in the siding dead.

Josh Bernhard photo

We then explored around and found several items of note, one of which is the old foundation to the station that sat between the Sharp and Lynndyl subs at the junction.  According to UtahRails.net, the station was double sided with a bay window on each side.  It is unclear when the station was demolished.


We next found our way to the caboose.

Continuing our 'urban archaeology', we located and examined the remains of the once extensive roundhouse and machine shop, which of course only the foundation and ruined brick remain.  Information we were able to locate online about Lynndyl indicates the roundhouse was built in 1915 with ten stalls with a 75' turntable.  The facilities at Lynndyl were capable of handling heavy repairs of locomotives and that work lasted until May 1948 when the roundhouse closed.  All but two of the stalls were removed as was the turntable.  The turntable was relocated to Salt Lake City to replace the pin-connected turntable there.  While surveying the site, Josh helped me locate an intact brick that had some asphalt stuck to it.  I fully intend to clean it off and display the brick in my train room when I finally get one.  Further examination of the site revealed an additional curved 'foundation' that actually turned out to be the turntable pit wall, which I believe is fully intact, just the pit has been filled in.
 

Josh Bernhard photo
Josh Bernhard photo


Josh Bernhard photo

Josh Bernhard photo
Josh Bernhard photo

Josh Bernhard photo

After watching the LUL57 arrive and drop off a cut of hoppers for the grain elevator, it was time for me to part ways and finish my drive into Salt Lake City.
Josh Bernhard photo



 
I turned onto UT132 and followed the road through Leamington which led me through some beautiful country, with plenty of beautiful, old buildings and a pair of preserved charcoal kilns.
On a side note, the train I spotted in Delta, which passed us just north of Brush Wellman Road, made one more appearance to me in the Orem area as I travelled north on I-15, but I was unable to stop and film it again.  Kinda neat that I saw the same train three different times in three different parts of Utah.  At the end of the day, I was left with more than some photos of trains and buildings.  I was able to cement a new friendship out of a common interest and that to me is more important than any photo I could ever take.  Until the next adventure...

I would like to thank Josh Bernhard for the use of his photos in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment