Monday, October 3, 2016

Notes from an outsider...

Being a relative newcomer to the Utah rail scene, I haven't got a lot to offer in the way of insight or retrospect on the way things used to be.  I can however, provide a glimpse into the present through the lens of a traveler from the great state of Nevada.  I neither claim to know what is what nor do I want to step on any toes by providing misinformation, so my first post to this blog will simply be a photo presentation of my last several trips to the Salt Lake City region of the Beehive State.


First, a little background on my visits to Utah.  About a year ago, I first visited the University of Utah Clinical Neurosciences Center to determine a cause and course of treatment for an issue I was dealing with.  On my first several visits, I strictly came into town, visited the clinic, stayed overnight, shopped at Sam's Club and/or Walmart then left.  I neither had the time or the knowledge to really railfan the area.  Or so I thought.  Then February rolled around and I had surgery to fix the issue we had pinpointed.  I knew that I would be visiting the area guaranteed for the next two years for follow-ups so I invested in a better digital camera and began to plan my trips around my appointments and whatever railfan time I could get in.  I arranged to meet with Chris Fussell and James Belmont, both of whom welcomed me with open arms and showed me some of the easier popular locations within Salt Lake City proper to shoot trains.  Since then, I have returned to Ogden after an 11 year absence and have also visited Echo, which I definitely plan to return to in the future.  What follows is a selection of my photos from these locations.  In the future I hope to be able to provide a more in-depth look at my photos as I gain more knowledge of operations in the Utah arena.



Roper Yard.  May 24, 2016


North Yard.  May 24, 2016


With James Belmont, south end of North Yard.  May 24, 2016


South end of North Yard.  August 1, 2016


South end of North Yard.  August 1, 2016


North Yard.  August 1, 2016


A friendly wave at North Yard.  August 1, 2016


Lease unit on the Chevron Local at North Yard.  August 1, 2016


Ex-CN GMD-1 at Wendover, UT.  August 3, 2016


Parked grain train at Wendover, UT.  August 3, 2016


Chris Fussell working on ex-Amtrak 644 at Ogden Union Station.  September 5, 2016


Ex-Amtrak 231 at Ogden Union Station.  September 5, 2016


Motive power on display at Ogden Union Station.  September 5, 2016


UP local just south of the Kennecott smelter.  September 6, 2016


Captain Jack at Peterson Industrial Depot, Tooele, UT.  September 6, 2016


The other locomotive at Peterson Industrial Depot, Tooele, UT.  September 6, 2016


Original Western Pacific hopper westbound at Echo, UT.  September 28, 2016


Westbound freight train at Croydon, UT.  September 28, 2016


Four bridges over one river at Croydon.  September 28, 2016


My friend Bradley Ogden, who accompanied me to Echo.  September 28, 2016


Ex-Kennecott high cab GP39 at the Kennecott smelter.  September 28, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment